A cramped kitchen. A bedroom that lacks elbow room. A living room that's no fun living in. It's the age-old dilemma of owning an old house...you want to add space by making an addition but don't want to damage your home's integrity. Now The Taunton Press and the National Trust for Historic Preservation have joined forces to bring you outstanding design solutions.
Renowned architect Frank Shirley will share dozens of proven ideas for expanding the space and comfort of your charming colonial, cozy cape, vintage Victorian, any classic home...all while preserving the look and feel you first fell in love with!
Teach an old house new tricks!
- 300 stunning photos of additions that work
- Reassuring answers to all your concerns about adding new space to your beloved old home:
- A house in harmony - living in an old house and loving it
- Preserving the all-important balance of your home
- Creating "public" and "private" spaces
- Making the painless transition from old to new
- Crafting with materials that express your home's style
- Inspiring case studies - A Home on the Hudson, A Bay Area Beauty, A Victorian with Humility, Reviving a Retreat and more
- Pure pleasure to read...as a fellow old house owner and aficionado, Frank Shirley writes with warmth and insight
- A gorgeous book, the perfect gift for anyone who owns and loves his or her old house
- An unparalleled resource whether you're in the dreaming, planning or doing stage!
"Like you, I prefer old houses. For decades, I've helped home owners make their old houses more livable. With this book, you will discover a wealth of ideas and design strategies for additions that not only preserve but enhance the beauty that originally drew you to your classic home."