Introduce children to the craft of woodworking and watch their executive function skills thrive.
The Guide to Woodworking with Kids is a culmination of craftsman Doug Stowe’s four-decade career in woodworking and nearly twenty years of working with students K-12 in his Wisdom of the Hands woodworking class at the Clear Spring School in his hometown of Eureka Springs, Arkansas. This comprehensive guide offers step by step instruction for teachers, parents and grandparents to offer safe woodworking opportunities to their students and kiddos as a way of developing a wide range of valuable life-skills. Based in part on the philosophies of Froebel’s Kindergarten and Educational Sloyd, this book illustrates the importance of doing real, hands-on activities in school and at home that enable students to:
- Think things through for themselves
- Develop skill, originality and inventiveness
- Explore their own self-interests
- Plan, organize and execute meaningful work
- Prepare to profitably employ leisure time
- Be handy and resourceful
- Develop both character and intellect
- Create useful beauty to benefit family, community and self
The Guide to Woodworking with Kids is more than a woodworking book, it’s gives parents, grandparents and teachers the confidence, encouragement, and the insight needed to safely engage children in life-enhancing creative arts.